REBNY’s 125th Annual Banquet Will Be Held Virtually in June
The Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY) on Tuesday announced this year’s class of distinguished real estate professionals who will be presented with the industry’s top honors at REBNY’s 125th Annual Banquet. The virtual event will take place Thursday, June 10.
“This year has been difficult for many New Yorkers, but our honorees remind us that over REBNY’s 125-year history we have always found a way to come back stronger and more dynamic than we were before,” said REBNY chairman Douglas Durst. “New York was able to endure a global pandemic thanks to the essential workers who kept our city running even as it paused. It gives me particular pleasure to honor the contributions of essential workers in the real estate industry who are paving the way to New York’s coming resurgence.”
This year’s banquet will showcase the ways the real estate industry came together during the past year to help New Yorkers, as well as its commitment to helping the city in its recovery and long-term future.
The following award winners will be recognized at the banquet:
• Essential Workers in New York City Real Estate will be awarded the John E. Zuccotti Public Service Award for the extraordinary work they have done to help the industry and our City manage the COVID-19 pandemic and for their ongoing efforts to support the City’s recovery.
• Bess Freedman, CEO at Brown Harris Stevens, will be awarded the Kenneth R. Gerrety Humanitarian Award for her meritorious service and lifelong commitment to improving outcomes in her community and the New York City real estate industry.
• Kevin McCann, senior managing director of global occupier services at Cushman & Wakefield, will receive the George M. Brooker Management Executive of the Year Award for his superior accomplishments in property management and his outstanding professionalism, civic achievement, and contributions to the real estate industry.
• Gregg L. Schenker, president and co-managing partner of ABS Partners Real Estate, will receive the Louis Smadbeck Memorial Broker Recognition Award for his exceptional personal and professional integrity, leadership and prominence in the brokerage community, as well as his service on various REBNY committees.
• Robert M. Shapiro, executive managing director at Cushman & Wakefield, will receive the Young Real Estate Professional of the Year Award for his strong integrity, professionalism, and personal ethics. This award is selected by the Young Men’s/Women’s Real Estate Association of New York.
• Alan Wiener, group head at Wells Fargo Multifamily Capital, will receive the Bernard H. Mendik Lifetime Leadership in Real Estate Award for his exceptional accomplishments in real estate, leadership, and service to the real estate industry over his career.
• Laurie Zucker, vice chairwoman at Donald Zucker Company & Manhattan Skyline Mgt. Corp., will receive the Harry B. Helmsley Distinguished New Yorker Award for her invaluable contributions to New York’s civic welfare and the broader real estate community.
Paul Bubny serves as Senior Content Director for Connect Commercial Real Estate, a role to which he brings 13-plus years’ experience covering the commercial real estate industry and 30-plus years in business-to-business journalism. In this capacity, he oversees daily operations while also reporting on both local/regional markets and national trends, covering individual transactions across all property types, as well as delving into broader subject matter. He produces 15-20 daily news stories per day and works with the Connect team and clients to develop longer-form content, ranging from Q&As to thought-leadership pieces.
Prior to joining Connect, Paul was Managing Editor for both Real Estate Forum and GlobeSt.com at American Lawyer Media, where he oversaw operations at both publications while also producing daily news and feature-length articles. His tenure in B2B publishing stretches back into the print era, and he has served as Editor in Chief on four national trade publications.
Since 1999, Paul has volunteered as the newsletter editor of passenger rail advocacy groups (one national, one local).