Texas CRE News In Your Inbox.

Sign up for Connect emails to stay informed with CRE stories that are 150 words or less.

Sub Markets

Property Sectors


Texas  + State of Texas  + Apartments  | 
Rental home builders scores $12.5M loan for San Marcos project

Micro Texas Rental-Home Builder Scores $12.5M Financing

Rental community developer Casata has obtained $12.5 million in joint venture equity financing for a residential project in San Marcos. The development will consist of 210 for-rent, freestanding “micro homes” of modular construction. Homes will come in one- and two-bedroom formats and range in size from 400 to 1,100 square feet. Construction is expected to last about 21 months. Duke Dennis of Marcus & Millichap Capital Corp. arranged the equity financing on behalf of Casata.

The homes will be built on 25 acres of land, ranging from 400-1,100 square feet with one to three bedrooms for rent from $1,175-$1,800.

Community Impact reported that Casata’s Forrest Hardy added, “We’re in between tiny homes and regular homes. They’re more efficient, and they’re independent, physical homes. They are attainable housing, so they’re housing for the middle class, and it’s a really nice alternative to apartment homes.”

90% of the homes will be long-term rental units, while the remaining 10% will be short-term rentals listed on Airbnb and Vrbo.


Inside The Story

About Mike Boyd

Mike covers our Texas and Phoenix/Southwest regions. He is a veteran news reporter who spent 10 years in radio and television news, mostly in Tucson, Arizona. Following his career in the media, he spent ten years as a communications executive for a publicly traded development company. Mike is married with three boys and three Huskies.

  • McAllen Portfolio

    McAllen, TXTexas + Apartments
    Listing Status:Available
    Listing Type:Call for offers
    No. of Units:279
    Average Occupancy:5.31
    Lot Size:229095 Acres
    Opportunity Zone:No
    Price per unit:$86,021
    Learn More
  • SoCo Flats

    Austin, TXTexas + Apartments + Garden Style
    Listing Status:Available
    Listing Type:Highest & best offer
    No. of Units:20
    Year Built:1974
    Building Size:10300 Sq ft
    Lot Size:.43 Acres
    No. of Stories:2
    Opportunity Zone:No
    Learn More
  • ◦Financing
New call-to-action
New call-to-action
New call-to-action